One program will be held at the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center in Stevenson, while the other will be held at Maryhill Museum.
The Interpretive Center will host David Nicandri, Washington State Historical Society director, on April 20 at 2 p.m.
Nicandri will present a program on "Lewis & Clark in Washington: The Narrative Discovery." He follows the historical trail of Lewis and Clark along Washington's rivers, to reveal some of the most remarkable and significant discoveries made during the expedition, and why there is a general lack of appreciation for the Washington segment.
Nicandri is considered the foremost historian in the state on the subject of the Lewis and Clark Expedition as it pertains to Washington. He is also the executive editor of Columbia: The Magazine of Northwest History, published by the Washington State Historical Society.
He serves as a consultant to the Washington State Governor's Lewis and Clark Trail Committee.
This program is sponsored by the Washington Commission for the Humanities through Inquiring Mind: A Forum in the Humanities, a statewide speaker's bureau. It is co-sponsored by the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center, Skamania County Chamber of Commerce, and the Stevenson Community Library.
Maryhill will present a gallery walk and slide lecture by noted author Mary Schlick on Saturday, April 20, at 2 p.m.
The lecture will focus on the observations Lewis and Clark documented while in Klickitat County, Washington and the cultural exchanges they had with Native Americans in the Columbia River Gorge.
Schlick is a nationally recognized authority on Native American artifacts from the Columbia River Plateau tribes. She has published books and papers on the subject and has lectured throughout the country. The University of Washington Press has just released the second printing of her book Columbia River Basketry: Gift of the Ancestors, Gift of the Earth.
After the lecture Schlick will lead a gallery walk through the exhibit Lewis and Clark At Maryhill in the Museum's Native People of North America Gallery.
The Museum also has a Lewis and Clark Overlook located on a promontory on the southeast side of its gardens. It includes interpretive panels that share observations written by Clark when the Corps of Discovery traveled through the area during autumn 1805. The panels were funded by the USDA Forest Service.
"On April 22, 1806, the Corps walked across the land where the Museum now sits," said Schlick. "To honor that event, the Museum will present a related event each year at about this time and this lecture will start that tradition."
The Museum also has some unusual connections to Lewis and Clark, including Osage Orange trees. These trees were among the first natural history specimens sent to President Jefferson from the Corps.
The bronze sculpture of Maryhill Museum founder Sam Hill, located at the entrance door, was created by Alonzo Lewis, a descendent of Meriwether Lewis.