News and information from our partners

Getting closer

Mustangs need one more win to clinch league soccer title

Trout Lake striker Mike Hansen scored two minutes into the first overtime, but it took another 18 minutes of solid defense by the Mustangs before they could claim a 5-4 victory Oct. 22 over visiting Riverside Christian.

Hansen, a junior, scored three goals all told, and assisted on Trout Lake's first goal as the Mustangs improved to 6-2 in Greater Columbia B League boys soccer standings and 12-3-2 overall.

Senior striker Andy Dick got Trout Lake going in the 18th minute, scoring a goal off a Hansen assist that cut the Crusaders' 2-0 lead in half.

Dick's second goal of the match knotted things up at 2-2, but Alex Schilperoort answered for Riverside with a go-ahead goal in the 36th minute.

The Mustangs retied the score five minutes into the second half on an unassisted goal by Hansen.

They took their first lead eight minutes later when Hansen took a pass from sophomore Peter Schmid and slipped a shot into the back of the net.

Riverside's James McKinney, who beat Trout Lake senior goalkeeper Marcus VanLaar in the 4th minute for the match's first goal, scored off a free kick late in the half to create a 4-4 deadlock.

In the first of two 10-minute overtime periods -- league rules require two OTs -- Hansen gave Trout Lake a 5-4 lead in the 2nd minute.

Trout Lake made that lead stand through the final eight minutes of the first overtime and the entire second OT as Mustangs Coach Doug Dearden moved Hansen and Dick back to midfield to bolster the defense.

Overall, the Mustangs outshot the Crusaders 21-4 in the second half. Defensively, VanLaar secured 11 saves to 17 for Riverside's Jim Van Beek.

Sunnyside Christian 3, at Day Star Christian 3 --

The Knights captured their third league victory Oct. 22 with a 3-2 shootout victory.

Sunnyside improved to 3-3 in the GCB, while Day Star slipped to 3-4, one win ahead of Riverside (2-5).

The Knights dominated the first half, which ended with Sunnyside holding a 2-1 advantage. (All three goals were scored in the first 16 minutes.)

But after going scoreless for 51 minutes, Day Star rallied in the second half, tying the score at 2-2 in the 60th minute and again at 3-3 in the 69th.

After two 10-minute overtime periods failed to produce a winner, the teams proceeded to a shootout.

Sunnyside Christian knocked home three goals in the shootout and goalkeeper Tristen Visser secured the win with his 17th save on Day Star's final attempt.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the News and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)