0

Vintage Cars Converge At Maryhill Museum

Racers compete on Loops

The car really is king the weekend of June 14-15 as Maryhill Museum of Art, the Goldendale Motorsports Association and the Society of Vintage Racing Enthusiasts present a weekend of car-related activities.

On Saturday, June 14, starting at 10 a.m. Maryhill Museum's east lawn will be chock full of classic, sport and customized cars exhibited at the Concours de Maryhill.

There will be several competition categories including best original, classic, hot rod and muscle car.

Anyone with a special car is invited to enter the exhibition by calling the Goldendale Motorsports Association at (800) 573-3793 or Maryhill Museum at 773-3733, or by registering at the gate.

At approximately 12:15 p.m. there will be a grand entry of vintage cars competing in the following day's Maryhill Loops Hill Climb.

"Maryhill is just delighted to be working with the Goldendale Motorsports Association and the Society of Vintage Racing Enthusiasts to bring this exciting two-day event to the Columbia River Gorge and Goldendale area" said Colleen Schafroth, the museum's executive director.

On Sunday, June 15, vintage racecars from the 1930s to 1960s will compete in the Maryhill Loops Hill Climb race. The vintage sports cars race singly in a three-mile timed race up the historic Maryhill Loops Road, the first paved road in the Pacific Northwest.

Spectators can view the scenic hill climb race from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. from the Highway 97 Overlook and from designated viewpoints along the race route.

The Society of Vintage Racing Enthusiasts of Seattle organizes the race and only their approved cars and drivers will be competing.

Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. the museum presents its Classic Fruit & Veggie Car Races for kids of all ages. Fantastically engineered cars designed and made from fruits and vegetables compete on a 12-foot ramp for thrills and chills.

Saturday's events conclude with the presentation of the car show awards.

Food vendors will be on hand for lunch and treats throughout the weekend.

Constructed from 1909 to 1913 by Samuel Hill (1857-1931), founder of Maryhill Museum of Art, Maryhill Loops Road is located off Washington Scenic Route 14 just east of US 97. The road ascends 850 feet in a series of curves with a gradient of ascent at 5 percent. It consists of 25 curves, 8 of which are hairpins.

The historic road is open to pedestrian and bicycle traffic from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily and admission is free.

It is available on a rental basis for special events, including tours by car and motorcycle clubs, as well as for bicycle, skateboard and car races.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment