News and information from our partners


Report for Hood River County Sheriff, Oregon State Patrol and Clackamas County Sheriff



18-year-old Carlos Garcia-Luis was taken into custody Tuesday afternoon by the Hood River County Sheriff's Office on the charge of manslaughter for the stabbing death of his roommate, 36-year-old Felipe Dominguez-Chacha.

Garcia Luis has been lodged at the NORCOR Correctional Facility after his medical release from a Portland hospital.

He was arraigned in Hood River County Circuit Court on Oct. 15, 2008 on charges of manslaughter in the first degree, manslaughter in the second degree and abuse of corpse in the first degree.

Charges stem from an incident the night of Oct. 8 when deputies and emergency medical personnel responded to a reported stabbing victim on Stadelman Drive in Odell.

A follow-up to where the incident occurred led to finding Dominguez-Chacha dead at his residence. The resulting investigation revealed that both men had been living together in migrant housing and both received stab wounds, one fatally, after an altercation with each other.



One person received non-life threatening injuries Thursday afternoon when his car crashed into the back of a moving commercial vehicle westbound Interstate 84 about 500 feet east of the Rooster Rock State Park freeway interchange.

On Oct. 16, 2008, at approximately 12:10 p.m. a silver 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse driven by Gregory P. Angnos, 23, from southeast Portland, was westbound at a high rate of speed on I-84 near milepost 24 when it crashed into the left rear corner of a semi-trailer pulled by a commercial truck. The car came to rest on its top in the middle of the westbound lanes pinning Angnos inside.

Personnel from Multnomah County Fire District 14 extricated Angnos from the car, and then he was transported by LifeFlight to Oregon Health Sciences University. He was using safety restraints and his car's airbag deployed.

The truck's driver, Kirby Faircloth, 60, from Newberg, Ore., was not injured.

Oregon State Police troopers from the Portland Area Command office are continuing the investigation. Enforcement action is pending.

Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, AMR ambulance, ODOT and LifeFlight assisted at the scene. All lanes re-opened about 2 p.m.



On Sunday, October 19, at 12:33 p.m. the Clackamas County Communications Center (CCOM) received information from a male climber reporting from a cell phone that the climber he was descending with had fallen, tumbling a distance estimated to be 300 feet.

This reporting male climber, Jeff Manor, 31, Rochester, informed dispatch he was not injured; however, the other climber who had fallen (Chris Biddle, 39, Puyallup) suffered injuries to his head, legs and arms, yet was conscious and breathing. Both climbers were reported to be dressed warmly and the weather conditions were comfortable.

Manor is a volunteer fire fighter -- in training -- with the Little Rock Fire Department. Manor indicated that he and the injured party were not originally climbing together, but had reached the summit at the same time.

American Medical Response, Reach and Treat Team (RAT), were alerted to the situation and deployed to assist the injured climber. The climbers were located just west of the Hog's Back, on a reasonably level portion of Mount Hood. The elevation in this particular location is described to be at the 10,600 feet level.

Clackamas County Sheriff's Office, Search and Rescue (SAR) coordinators responded to Timberline Lodge, to command the SAR mission.

Lt. Matt Ellington said at approximately 12:45 p.m. the RAT team was deployed taking the ski-lift to the end of the line at the Palmer Glacier, and continued their trek climbing up the mountain to render aid.

An Oregon Army National Guard 1042 helicopter then flew to the Hogs Back area of Mount Hood, and lowered a medically trained member of its flight crew down with rescue personnel on the ground with the patient. This member of the flight crew assessed the situation and determined the best options available to remove the patient from the mountain.

At approximately 6:15 p.m. Biddle was air lifted off the mountain and flown directly, in fair condition, to Legacy Emanuel Hospital, in Portland.

Biddle was expected to be released from OHSU on Monday.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the News and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)