News and information from our partners


Report for Washington State Patrol and Oregon State Police



Two people were injured in a semi/vehicle accident on State Route 97 at milepost 18, five miles north of Goldendale. The accident occurred on April 24, 2009, at approximately 5:36 p.m.

According to the report, Ion Ardeleanu, 60, New Castle, was driving his 2002 Freightliner semi northbound on SR 97, following a 2003 Ford Explorer driven by Juan G. Castaneda-Suarez, 30, Tonasket. The Ford Explorer slowed for a disabled semi ahead of him. Ardeleanu's semi rear-ended the Explorer and continued northbound.

Klickitat County Sheriff's deputies stopped Ardeleanu at milepost 28, 10 miles from the accident scene.

Charges against Ardeleanu are pending.

Castaneda-Suarez was transported to Klickitat Valley Hospital for soreness and bruising. A passenger in his vehicle, Sabrina Castaneda, 22, Tonasket, was also transported for bruises and soreness. A second passenger, Sophia Castaneda, 10, Tonasket, was not injured.



Oregon State Police cited the driver involved in a non-injury commercial truck fire Monday afternoon that closed both directions of Interstate 84 at Mosier for over 90 minutes. During the follow up investigation the driver, who was cited for Careless Driving, changed his story and admitted that his distraction and not a tire blow out caused the crash.

On April 27, 2009 at 5:20 p.m., a 2007 Freightliner truck pulling a semi-trailer loaded with unspecified mixed freight was operated by Jeremy R. Falk, 23, New Berlin, Wisc., westbound on I-84 near milepost 70. Falk originally told the investigating trooper that the front left tire had a blowout prior to the truck hitting a temporary construction barrier on the south side of the freeway. The impact ripped off the steering axle and fuel tank as the truck and trailer caught fire. Falk escaped uninjured.

I-84 was closed for 1 hour 40 minutes while Mosier Fire Department and Pine Grove Fire Department worked to control and extinguish the fire. ODOT assisted with traffic control and one lane was opened about 7 p.m. Traffic reportedly was backed up for 3.5 miles during the closure.

The truck and front half of the semi-trailer, along with its load, was destroyed.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the News and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)