News and information from our partners

Outdoor burning restrictions take effect in Skamania County

Lasts until Sept. 30

Washington's Department of Natural Resources, in cooperation with the Skamania County Board of Commissioners, emergency service officials, and the Southwest Clean Air Agency, restricted all land-clearing and silvicultural burning on state-protected forestlands in Skamania County, effective July 1.

The burning restriction will last until Sept. 30.

Silvicultural burning is usually associated with timber operations or other forest practices on unimproved or forested land. (This burn restriction will coincide with the county burn ban that will go into effect on improved property in Skamania County.)

DNR's restrictions may be extended by the agency, depending on fire weather conditions. These restrictions do not extend to federally managed lands, however.

Recreational campfires are allowed if built in approved fire pits in designated campgrounds, such as those typically found in local, county, and state parks, and in commercial campgrounds.

On private land, campfires are permitted with the landowner's written permission if built in the following approved manner:

In a metal, stone or masonry-lined fire pit, such as those seen in approved campgrounds.

Not exceeding three feet in diameter.

Have an area of at least 10 feet around the campfire, cleared of all flammable material and at least 30 feet of clearance from overhead fuels (such as tree limbs).

Attended at all times by a responsible person at least 16 years old with the ability and tools to extinguish the fire, such as a shovel and either five gallons of water or a connected and charged water hose.

Completely extinguish campfires by pouring water or moist soil in them and stirring with a shovel until all parts are cool to the touch. The use of self-contained camp stoves is encouraged as an alternative.

For more information on local fire restrictions, contact DNR's Pacific Cascade Regional Office, (360) 577-2025.

Daily updates on burn restrictions are available at 1-800-323-BURN or on DNR's website,

Poeple can also check with Southwest Clean Air Agency by calling (800) 633-0709 or visiting its website at


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the News and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)