News and information from our partners


Report for Klickitat County, Skamania County and Clackamas County sheriff's offices



On May 29, 2010, at approximately 1:44 p.m., a Klickitat County Sheriff's sergeant observed four motorcycles on the Glenwood Highway traveling at a high rate of speed. The motorcycles were headed towards Goldendale from milepost 5.

The motorcycles accelerated away from the sergeant and were in excess of 100 miles per hour.

The fourth motorcycle operated by Nigel Dahlvang, 28, Portland, failed to negotiate a curve near milepost 9. Dahlvang was ejected from his 2007 Suzuki GSXR750.

Another Klickitat County Sheriff's deputy stopped the remaining three motorcycles in the area of milepost 11.5. The riders were identified as David Wright, 39, Vancouver, Christopher Stricker, 36, Vancouver, and Travis Brault, 36, Vancouver.

All four riders were cited for reckless driving.

Dahlvang was later transported to Emanuel Hospital in Portland for his injuries.



At approximately 4:10 p.m. on June 2, 2010, two Vancouver men who had been reported as overdue from a hike on June 1 walked to safety.

Kevin Dean, 34, and Mark Lapinskas, 32, walked out to the Forest Service 81 Road approximately five miles west of where they started a climb up Mt. St. Helens.

Search efforts for the two overdue climbers started early June 2 with ground search efforts continuing throughout the day until the pair were picked up by a North Country Volcano Rescue Team vehicle that had been sent to pick up some searchers off the 81 road.

Dean and Lapinskas were transported back to the warming hut at the Marble Mountain Snow Park where they were reunited with their waiting wives. Both were wet and cold but required no medical attention.

They reported to officials they had started down from the crater rim in near white out conditions about 2:30 p.m. on June 1. They lost the main trail and became disoriented, and when they reached timberline, made a makeshift shelter with fir bows and a tarp and stayed the night.

On the morning of June 2, they tried to walk out and became disoriented again because of the fog, finally walking out to the 81 road in the afternoon. There were over 40 ground searchers utilized today during the search efforts.



At about 10 a.m. on Sunday, June 6, the Clackamas Communications Center received a call from a 49-year-old man, Mark Till, in request of assistance on Mount Hood. The man said he and his 17-year-old son, Robbie, were lost, in white-out conditions, at the 8100 foot level on Mount Hood. The man reported he and his son were not hurt, but they were very tired and cold. All of their clothing and equipment was wet.

The lost climbers made the decision to stay in their current location and wait for rescuers. The father placed a bright colored helmet on top of a large rock where they were sheltered behind. His 17-year old son was wrapped in a silver emergency blanket, trying to maintain warmth in the high winds.

The father and son team had started a Mount Hood climb the previous evening at about 10. After reaching the summit, the pair began their descent. Several thousand feet down from the summit, limited visibility and high winds stopped their progress and they became disoriented.

GPS coordinates were obtained from the caller's cellular phone. With this information, Search and Rescue coordinators from the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office were able to determine that the lost hikers were on the White River Glacier. A search team made up of Portland Mountain Rescue (PMR) and AMR Reach and Treat (RAT) climbers located the lost pair at about 3:30 p.m.

The climbers were guided to a location near the top of the Palmer lift, where they were loaded in a snow cat and transported to Timberline Lodge.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the News and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)