News and information from our partners


Report for KCSO and Red Cross



On October 26, 2011, at approximately 12:20 pm, the Klickitat County Sheriff's Office (KCSO) received a call of an overdue hunter in the Swale Canyon area, later determined to be 50-year-old Gary Vaughn of the Vancouver area. Vaughn was reported to have been last seen around 4:30 p.m. the previous day.

Sheriff's deputies and Klickitat County Search and Rescue (KCSAR) volunteers responded to the scene, initiated ground search operations and requested aircraft assistance from the Hood River County Sheriff. Within moments of beginning the search, the KCSAR man-tracking team located Vaughn's boot prints and began tracking him. With the combination of aircraft and ground search techniques, Vaughn was quickly located and found to have tumbled down a steep incline. He had sustained numerous injuries, including a possible back injury. Vaughn reported that he had been unable to move all night even during the sub-freezing temperatures. Vaughn was extracted from the scene by KCSAR volunteers and transported to Skyline Hospital for medical treatment.

KCSO Chief Criminal Deputy Patrick Kaley attributes the quick and successful outcome of this operation to the highly efficient, well-trained KCSAR volunteers and the excellent leadership of Sgt. Eric Anderson and KCSAR Coordinator Jeff King. Kaley also said the positive relationship between the Klickitat Sheriff's Office and the Hood River Sheriff Joe Wampler and his office was crucial to the operation.



Disaster Action Team responders from the American Red Cross Oregon Trail Chapter assisted two adults displaced by a residential fire in the 3000 block of Gilhouley Road in Hood River on Friday afternoon.

The team provided immediate emergency assistance in the form of food, clothing, comfort kits and bedding.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the News and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)